Saturday, March 1, 2008

Mom's First Broken Arm I remember

November 1968, the day before Thanksgiving, mom fell off the front porch and broke her wrist. The front porch was not even a high porch. Mom was expecting Cathe so they kept her in the hospital. I came home from school and the neighbor lady told me about mom andher arm. Dad came home from work early.

On Thanksgiving Day dad tried to cook us thanksgiving dinner. He put the turkey in the oven and told Mike and I when to turn it off. He then went to the hospital to visit mom. Of course some of the younger kids were bad and because of that Mike and I forgot to turn off the oven. Dad came home three hours after the oven should have been turned off. He asked us if the turkey was done. We looked at each other and realized what we had done. Dad ran toward the oven. I asked if the turkey was ruined. Dad said it will be burnt black. When we retieved the turkey from the oven, it was done to perfection. Mike said he knew all along that the turkey needed to be cooked longer.

The arm break was serious because mom had the cast on for three months or so. She got it off right before we moved to Snowflake.

Keith

No comments: